Monday, December 29, 2014

From The Vault: Head Wound City E.P.


I don't really like music that takes itself 100% seriously. It's never really jelled for me that an artist would ever think of art, something objectively valueless and disconnected with the base human experience, to be worth being upset over.

I think that's why I've never enjoyed records made by so-called "supergroups." The ego and self-seriousness in most of these projects is palpable. 

With that said, when a supergroup possesses a sense of fun and excitement about them, I almost always dig it. I think that's why Head Wound City appeals to me so much. It's all about fun.

Formed in 2005 by members of The Locust, The Blood Brothers, and The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Head Wound City play chaotic, noisey artpunk that takes the most distinctive elements of the bands it splintered from and ramps them up times 10. Gabe Serbian brings The Locust's spastic drumming and time signatures. Jordan Billie and Cody Votolato bring their distinctive throat/fret shredding from The Blood Brothers, while Nick Zinner brings a whole lot of, gasp, pop sensibility. 

They released a self-titled, 10-minute EP that very same year on Three One G Records and it's a banger. 

I'm a Taxidermist- I'll Stuff Anything is a highlight of the album. It's The Locust filtered through '79 punk steez and neon lights. There's a sweet double-time breakdown and power-electronics part somewhere in the middle.

Thrash Zoo is black metal with actual dynamics, a rare treat indeed. The vocals make my throat hurt in sympathy.






This album is definitely worth a listen. Grab it here.


No comments:

Post a Comment