Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Sperm- Yahweh brings us to this hell


One of the things that make it so exciting to be a music fan is the ever-present possibility that you might stumble on some hidden gem, something that few people of heard hat really resonates with you in some way. There's few things better than blind buying music, and it turning out to be a favorite.

And, what's more, it can happen anywhere! I learned that last weekend, when I stumbled across this tape at the local fleamarket, nestled in between Shelter's Mantra and 311's Transistor. I pulled it off of the rack and looked it over. The black and white cover and the relatively icky band name made me assume that this was fairly basic power electronics.

I asked the seller what the tape was. He simply shrugged his wide, tattooed shoulders and said "Fifty Cents." It sounded like a steal so I flicked him two quarters and was on my merry way.

When I got home, a cursory internet search revealed that this was actually a new-ish release, put out in February of 2014. Not bad for 50 cents. They were apart of the Buffalo underground, and seem to have disappeared. A right shame, because Yahweh brings us to this hell is an excellent record, good enough that, if I had heard about it, I would have included it in my top 10 albums of the year. 

Far from power electronics, this tape is spacey, blown-out hardcore/punk. The best way I can describe it is Coke Bust filtered through The Birthday Party. Very unique stuff. 

Atomized, Automized, Homicide is a highlight. Hardcore wrapped in a cocoon of spidery guitar. There's a guitar solo. Nothing better than a solo in hardcore.

Animal Life In The Demiurge is, surprisingly, a bit of a ballad. Constructed entirely of one repeated bass riff and vocals, it's minimalist, but effective.

Hyperborea is a bit of an oddity. An instrumental track that honestly sounds like a Taking Back Sunday b-side. It's strange, but not at all bad. An interesting choice.

Unfortunately, the tape is sold out, but you can listen to it here. You really should. We need more hardcore bands that experiment like this. 




No comments:

Post a Comment