Sunday, February 15, 2015

New music.

Hello, everyone. It's been a while since I've posted here. An opportunity to pursue an Ivy League education has presented itself so I've been busy with my studies. Not that anything worth knowing can be taught...

I've fallen in love with music once more. I'm slowly learning to read music, which I'm hoping will aid the creation of some electro-acoustic works I've been thinking of making for a while. Because of this renewed interest, I've been listening to a lot more music, mostly ambient and avant-classical.

Since I know all of you are on the hunt for new music, these are some of the albums I've been listening to. They really deserve your attention.

1. Periskop- Dubworks 4

Helmed by a Dane with an obsession with submarines, Periskop makes dub-inflected techno and  power electronics/ambient made with submarine samples, depending on the album. There are 28 of them, by the way. All of them submarine themed. All of them beautiful. Periskop 4 is firmly on the techno side of things, if someone played a Burial record through four delay pedals in a box in the ocean. 





bandcamp


2. Nagaal and Carl Mitchell- Improvisations I & II



A collaboration between avant ambient duo Nagaal and tenor sax player Carl Mitchell, this album is a beautiful piece of cosmic drone/jazz that manages to conjure the best of both Velvet Caccoon and modal-era John Coltrane at the same time. Near perfect.



3. BBLV- Simsulvations: Lvng Lrg EP


I can only hope that this is where music is going. Music from how-to-type software mingling with Stravinsky's ghost in the hollow shell of a violin in a junkyard staffed by robots. 




bandcamp

3. Cisfinitum- Rejection From Sympathy



Helldrone from Russia. Dada shot full of holes, left bleeding by European degradation. 




No comments:

Post a Comment