Monday, April 14, 2014

Bandcamp artist of the week: Terror Eyes


I've always maintained that old screamo and black metal are two sides of the same coin. Black Metal is far more impersonal and static and screamo is far more dynamic but both have a similar vocal style and dark lyrical bent that make them resonate with me in a similar way. That's why, when I find a band that combines the two styles of music, it always piques my interest.

With the wonders of the internet I have come across TERROR EYES, a heavy band from Providence, Rhode Island. Their only recorded material they have is a three song demo and it shows a ton of promise. On three tracks the band crafts an expert mishmash of doom metal, grindy screamo, and black metal. "Cult of Bacchus" is the highlight of the demo, a five minute excursion of blast beats, doomy passages, and stop-start vocals. The other two tracks are under one minute and are mostly samples. The actual music is PG.99 style emoviolence.

This is a good demo from a band that, hopefully, will make killer music in the future. I know this is only a demo but I hope the next release is a little more fleshed out. The one substantial track is great but an EP or a split would really rule.

Listen to it here: http://terroreyesri.bandcamp.com/album/spring-demo

No comments:

Post a Comment