Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Bandcamp artist of the week: Ilabrat Xul


 Religion is an interesting and inescapable part of the human condition and the darker, more esoteric portion of it always catches attention.Magic, alchemy, astrology, divination, it all reeks of a time in which ignorance prevailed, yet it's rituals, language, and art are comforting to me. Like Black Metal, occult language and ideas make me feel connected to something much larger than myself, something ancient and brooding.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a believer in occult practices, I am a believer in science, but, for me personally, it is a positive, mind-clearing form study.

In 2013,with the concept of genres being almost completely caved in, it's a great time for occult expression in music. I've heard satanic-pop, Orixan jazz, and Kaballah-themed Death Metal. A lot of this music, however, comes across as very unauthentic. It seems to be a rare thing for occult-based groups to truly believe in the message they are preaching.
|
Luckily, there are those that practice what they preach. Those that use music to spread their abstruse ideas.One of those precious few is Indiana's Ilabrat Xul with their album Expositor of the Black Scriptures.

IX play black metal through a power electronics filter. The guitars are overblown and noisey, the vocals are distant and haunting, and the drums are buried under the hellish racket. The recording is very low fi, so I'm not sure about this, but there seems to be some sort of noise synth pedal creating a low hum under all of it. Every song is very mid-paced but the rawness gives it a very immediate quality.

The vocals are fantastic. They are some of the most hateful, bile choked wails I've ever heard. From A Blackened State of Being is especially misanthropic. It makes me want to build a cabin in the woods and keep everyone out.

If you want honest, misanthropic noise in the vein of Prurient, Occult Warwolf, or demo era Burzum

8/10

http://occultsupremacyproductions.bandcamp.com/album/ilabrat-xul-expositor-of-the-black-scriptures-cdr

No comments:

Post a Comment